To serve as a strong advocate for promoting the highest levels of readiness, modernization and quality of life for all Members and Families of the Minnesota National Guard (MNNG); Past, Present, and Future.
The National Guard Association of Minnesota's purpose is to advocate for improved equipment, training, benefits, and support for Minnesota National Guardsmen and their families.
The National Guard Association of Minnesota is your local chapter of the National Guard Association of United States which is the nation's oldest military association lobbying solely for the benefit of the National Guard of the United States and educating the public about the Guard's role and history in the Armed Forces of the United States. It was formed by militia officers in 1878 to obtain better equipment and training by petitioning Congress for more resources.
To maintain the highest state of readiness, the National Guard needs a strong voice in Washington, D.C., to ensure the Guard has sufficient resources and budget to carry out its mission. NGAUS is that voice, seeking modern equipment, training, missions and personnel benefits in support of over 470,000 men and women currently serving in the Army and Air National Guard, as well as their families, employers and all Guard retirees.
NGAUS achieves its mission through its lobbying and legislative activities. We are also dedicated to educating the public, through our partnership with the National Guard Educational Foundation, about our service to the nation through various outreach programs, publications, and support of a museum and research library dedicated to the preservation of the Guard's history.
- Veteran status for Guardsmen and Reservists that honorably serve 20 years.
- Military retirement pay exempt from state taxes - passed in 2016.
- Member organization for the Soldiers, Airmen and Families of the Minnesota National Guard.
- Free 1st year membership in NGAMN to all new Officer/Warrant members of the MNNG.
- State Sponsored Life Insurance Program (SSLI) providing outstanding benefit to members AND families not available through SGLI.
- Free $10,000 one year life insurance to all new members of MNNG.
- Scholarship program for any active member, retired life member, alumni life member, or spouse/child/grandchild of an active member or retired/alumni life member of NGAMN.
- Advocate within the state and nationally to promote those issues which will enhance the combat readiness of the MNNG.
- Care for the well-being of the MNNG soldiers, airmen and their families.
- Successful in lobbying for dozens of benefits such as enlistment bonuses, upgrades to weapon systems and equipment, tax exempt state drill pay as well as AGR pay and many more.
- Fully supports the advocacy of NGAUS and EANGUS at the National level.
- Member organization operated by service members, for service members.